Join me for a blissful week of Yoga Meditation & Nature
Forest Hillside Eco Retreat . Vinyasa Flow Yoga . Meditation . Yoga Nidra . Sound Meditation Natural Bio Swimming Pool . Delicious Homegrown Vegetarian Food . Wild Surf Beaches
23-30 June 2023
The retreat will be held at Monte Da Orada, a serene, eco-sustainable retreat centre, nestled deep in the privacy and tranquility of the Alentejo countryside. Located on Portugal’s Southwest Atlantic Coast, bordering the Algarve, Orada is surrounded by spectacular breathtaking scenery, unspoilt surf beaches and delightful coastal and hillside villages.
Situated between Faro and Lisbon, this beautiful valley lies in an abundant oasis where two creeks come together amid ancient lush forest and wildlife vistas.
Monte da Orada dates back to at least the XII century, it was known as the “Sanctuary of Nossa Senhora da Orada” (Our Lady of Orada Sanctuary). Its water fountain was considered sacred for its powerful healing properties and it was a coveted stop for many travellers including, the mystic Saint Nuno of Santa Maria as well as Generals on the route to Monchique and Algarve. The property has of the oldest buildings documented in the region, the name Orada means “prayed for” and legend goes that people and animals came to rest here to recover from their ailments, and to pay homage to The Lady of Orada, housed inside a tiny shrine in a stone barn. She still sits here in her shrine, watching over the Yoga Studio, lending an air of peace and solace to this sacred space.
One of the highlights of Orada is a wonderful natural Bio Swimming Pool, a fully self sustainable eco-system which keeps the water oxygenated and chemical-free, perfect for swimming and relaxation. There is a Finnish Sauna which sits in the forrest outside the Bio Pool. There is a panoramic wooden roof deck to sunbathe and watch the sunset from and many comfortable living spaces to relax and socialise in. The main house has a large traditional Portuguese dining and lounge space and a huge outdoor patio and terrace with pizza oven. A stunning glass-walled lounge overlooks the valley with comfy sofas, floor cushions and a woodburner for chilly evenings. There are many beautiful outdoor spaces to spend time exploring and relaxing in, including a stone fire-pit and amphitheatre.
Sample Daily Schedule – TBC
- 8:00 Pranayama & Vinyasa Yoga
- 10:00 Breakfast
- 11:00 Free time – beach, massage, pool
- 14:30 Lunch
- 17:00 Restorative Yoga OR free time
- 19:00 Dinner
- 20:00 Sound Mediation OR Yoga Nidra OR free time
Rhythm of the Day
Our yoga practice will be held in the beautiful spacious yoga shala overlooking the lush untouched forrest, bathed in natural light and surrounded by the mountain breeze.
Joanne will begin her morning sessions with Pranayam, Meditation to awken your energy before moving into a Vinyasa Yoga practice that is dynamic, fluid, energizing and self-motivating. Filled with technique, alignment and a systematic approach to building strength, mobility and balance, her classes offer an array of intelligent sequences covering a wide variety of themes leaving you feeling refreshed for the day.
The afternnon and evening sessions will be devoted to the quieter yoga systems that guide the body into states of profound rest. Joanne will offer the deeply nourishing practices of Restorative Yoga, Yoga Nidra and Sound Mediation. Be prepared to drop into deep states of bliss!
The center has a wide variety of accommodation to suit every taste and budget. There are 6 suites with ensuite bathrooms that can accommodate single, double or triple occupancy.
There are 2 more suites with shared bathroom and a kitchenette and lounge area opening onto the beautifully maintained permaculture garden. The main house also has the Mezzanine shared loft space which has 3 spacious beds in this cozy room.
The Tiny House sits surrounded by forrest with a private outdoor sitting area with a hammock and a stunning outdoor bathroom with flushing toilet and bathtub overlooking the trees.
There are 2 large forest bungalows which are surrounded by nature with outdoor bath and shower overlooking the forrest.
A delightful Treehouse can accommodate 1 or 2 people and a Yurt that can accommodate 2 or 3 people. If you are on a smaller budget we have a spacious dorm room with single bunk beds.
All rooms that have outdoor bath can also use the indoor shared facilities in the main building.
Let me know what you would prefer and we can tailor your accommodation to suit your needs. All rooms are pictured below. Please send me an email for pricing and more infomation. Email here.
Each room is unique and limited, please reserve your space early to avoid disappointment!
About Joanne Smallwood
Joanne has been practicing yoga since 1997 and teaching since 2005. Joanne leads Vinyasa flow classes that are dynamic, fluid, energizing and self-motivating. Filled with technique, alignment and a systematic approach to building strength, mobility and balance, her classes offer an array of intelligent sequences covering a wide variety of themes. She has a keen eye for reading bodies and helping people work through limitations to build a stronger, more powerful, transformative practice.
Joanne loves to explore all aspects of the yoga spectrum. She has a deep appreciation for the quieter yoga systems that guide the body into states of deep rest. She has a passion for Restorative Yoga and Yoga Nidra, and Sound Mediation. She has been doing Sound Mediations regularly since studying this profound method in India in 2017.
Orada is focused on organic farming, conscious nutrition and permaculture. It is a sanctuary of peaceful nature and healthy, organically grown food. All meals are vegan and delicious.
Includes: (exact schedule TBC)
- 6 Pranayama & Vinyasa Yoga classes
- 2 Yoga Nidra Meditations
- 2 Pilates sessions
- 2 Sound Meditation sessions
- 1 Deep Stretch Yoga class
- 1 Restorative Yoga class
- Access to the Sauna and bio pool
- 3 Daily healthy vegetarian meals
Does Not Include:
- Travel insurance
- Meals outside the retreat
- Optional day-trips and other excursions
- Meals while on excursions
- Massage or spa treatments
Located at Portugal’s Southwest Atlantic Coast, bordering Algarve, it combines an amazing set of spectacular wild surf beaches and the authentic countryside tranquility of Alentejo. The center is 1.5 hours away from Faro airport and 2.5 hours away from Lisbon. Transfers can be booked in advance from either airport. Cost will depend on how many people are sharing. If you wish to explore the local area you may want to rent a car although there is plenty to do on the property including nature walks directly within the surrounding forrest.
We will arrive on Saturday 23 June 2023, after 4pm. We will meet for the first time as a group at dinner. Check out 10am Saturday 30 June 2023 after breakfast.
Retreat size is limited, so please register early.
Optional excursions & activities:
- Surf & Padel: The SW Coast has some of the best surf beaches of Portugal. It is an unforgettable experience. Prices are around 60€ per person/class.
- Hike: Rota Vicentina is a long distance path along the Sw coast of Portugal. Comprising the Historical Way and the Fishermen’s Trail. Circular circuits of 8km, 12km and 22km – 50€
- Mountain Bike: 45 min cycle away to the coast Rota Vicentina is a long distance path along the Sw coast of Portugal. Comprising the Historical Way and the Fishermen’s Trail. 60€
- Hours Riding: the wild west of the Alentejo in the saddle. Chris will ride with you through the wild landscape of the Alentejo. You will be touched by the unspoiled nature. 50 €
- Sailing: To sail on the calm waters of the Santa Clara dam, considered a paradise by many, in an ecological boat whose design is inspired by traditional Portuguese fishing boats. 70€
- Canoeing: From the mouth of the sea inland however, for over 40 km the Mira is subject to the tides, harboring a very special experience: Start in the right place at the right time, you can use the current to gently help you on your way inland, with usually a nice tailwind. 70€
- On Site Massage Therapy: Varies depending on the therapist.
Yoga Retreat Terms and Conditions
We have a fully flexible Covid-19 booking policy and offer a full refund or option to rebook with another retreat within 12 months.
In the unlikely event that the retreat is unable to go ahead and is cancelled and; or you are unable to travel due to Government enforced C-19 travel restriction or reasons (lock downs, major C19 country travel restrictions etc.). A PCR test will be required as proof of postive infection status.
1. It is the customer’s responsibility to check the reservation and ensure that the particulars contained therein are correct.
2. The customer shall pay a non-refundable, non-transferable deposit in the sum of €500 of the balance due for each person named in the reservation.
3. The balance monies due shall be paid by the customer not less than 8 weeks prior to the date of departure. Bookings within the last 8 weeks must be paid in full at time of booking. Payment can be made by bank transfer or cash.
4. If payment of either the deposit or the balance is not received by the due date we reserves the right to cancel the reservation and retain the deposit.
5. In the event of cancellation by the customer, regardless of the circumstances, the following refund fees, minus the deposit, apply. The deposit is non-refundable, as mentioned in #2:
Cancellation 2 weeks or less before due arrival date, 0% refund
Cancellation 2 to 4 weeks before due arrival date, 25% refund
Cancellation 4 to 8 weeks before due arrival date, 50% refund
Cancellation more than 8 weeks before due arrival date, 100% refund minus the deposit.